Our managing director, Amy Wray, has provided critical expertise to key publications in relation to safer home viewing measures and the Stamp Duty latest.
Speaking to Business Insider magazine, our owner discussed how homebuying has changed following the easing of UK lockdown restrictions.
Focusing on what virtual viewings look like – and how they may well be ‘the norm’ for some time – Amy told the publication that there were still mixed views from sellers.
“Some are extremely keen to get viewers around as soon as possible, whereas others are considering whether they want people in their homes just yet,” she explained.
“We have created videos of all vacant homes and are encouraging our home occupying vendors to do the same.
“Rental viewers remain open to taking properties via video – however, those wishing to offer on a property to buy typically want a physical viewing.”
We also recommended that sellers and viewers adhere to as many safe working practices as possible, such as:
- Only having a maximum of two adults from the same household attend
- Viewers must follow social distancing guidelines, remaining two metres away from staff members – and vice versa – at all times
- Agents have to clean all surfaces and door handles after each visit
- Viewing time is a maximum of 15 minutes
- Virtual viewings via video are to remain the preference
- Staff and viewers are not required to wear PPE (although this has been provided to our Applegate Properties team as an option)
She commented: “Whilst many last-time buyers may not actually require a reduction in Stamp Duty to make their move possible – as many have equity in their property – the passing of this exemption along would raise huge awareness in the UK surrounding the amount of current empty bedrooms.
“Additionally, it would encourage many homeowners to re-think their position once their families have flown the nest.”
She also explained how a huge shift in mindset could make earlier downsizing the ‘new normal’ and the rising popularity of good quality, over-55s retirement housing.
If you’re looking to sell, let or buy a property give one of our helpful and reliable team members a call now on 01484 682999.